AIT Austrian Institute of Technology GmbH, Austria
AIT Austrian Institute of Technology GmbH
Biological sciences » Other
First Stage Researcher (R1)
31 Mar 2024 – 13:50 (Europe/Vienna)
Type of Contract
Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
Not funded by an EU programme
Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
AIT, Austria’s foremost research and technology organization, is dedicated to addressing pressing global challenges such as climate change and digitalization. With a focus on specialized research, development, and technological competencies, AIT aims to establish itself as Austria’s leading research institution with a strong international presence. Through an open culture of innovation and motivated, international teams, AIT endeavors to make significant contributions to the economy and society.
The Center for Health & Bioresources, located in Vienna, is currently seeking candidates for a PhD Thesis. The center focuses on solving challenges related to demographic change, resource scarcity, and environmental pollution while developing innovative solutions for early disease detection and healthy aging support.
Within the center, the Competence Unit Molecular Diagnostics conducts research on novel diagnostic technologies for various applications, including infectious diseases and cancer diagnostics.
The PhD opportunity is part of the European research project “MI-DNA DISC,” coordinated by Dr. Ivan Barišić and involving six institutions from across Europe. This project, funded under Horizon Europe, aims to develop a groundbreaking DNA-based data storage approach.
The selected PhD candidate will investigate DNA-based technologies for their data storage capacity and develop genetic tools to store data in bacterial genomes. Enrolled at the Technical University Vienna, the candidate will have access to a supportive academic environment to further their research and professional development.
CENTER FOR HEALTH & BIORESOURCES – IN COOPERATION WITH TU WIEN
- You will explore synthetic biology and DNA-based data storage in depth.
- Conducting literature searches, you will stay updated on novel genetic engineering tools for bacteria.
- You will carry out sequencing experiments to analyze bacterial DNA exchange mechanisms.
- Proficiency with analytical instruments and molecular tools will be developed through hands-on experience.
- Collaboration with international scientists and project consortia in DNA-based data storage and synthetic biology will be a key aspect.
- You will be introduced to the European community focused on DNA-based computing.
- Working interdisciplinary with molecular biologists, computer scientists, physicists, and dissemination and exploitation experts will be integral.
- Disseminating research results through conference presentations and international journal publications will be part of your responsibilities.
- You will learn to evaluate results critically and prepare them for further studies.
- Experience gained in this research field holds immense potential for transforming data storage and computing.
- Working alongside international scientists will allow you to build a strong professional network.
Your qualifications as an Ingenious Partner:
- Master’s studies in the field of molecular biology or similar
- Good knowledge in Microbiology and Genetics, ideally regarding ligation-based DNA technologies, bacteriophages and/or CRISPR-Cas
- Enthusiastic about the conception of scientific studies, writing of proposals and publishing papers
- High level of commitment and team spirit
- Very good knowledge of English in word and writing
- Interested in reading and writing scientific publications and enjoy application-oriented questions from industry
- High level of commitment and team spirit
- Duration of the PhD project: 3 years
- Start date: ideally as soon as possible – However, there is some flexibility concerning the start-date
What to expect:
EUR 34.507 gross per year, for 30 h / week. In addition to numerous events, seminars and networking opportunities, there will be additional company benefits. As a research institution, they are familiar with the supervision and execution of PhD theses, and are looking forward to supporting you accordingly!
At AIT diversity and inclusion are of great importance. This is why they strive to inspire women to join their teams in the field of technology. They welcome applications from women, who will be given preference in case of equal qualifications after taking into account all relevant facts and circumstances of all applications.
Join AIT PhD programme with around 150 international students, carried out in cooperation with renowned universities – Let’s make ideas work – With you?
Please submit your documents including your CV, cover letter and your certificates (Transcript of records) online:
Research FieldBiological sciences » OtherEducation LevelMaster Degree or equivalent
Number of offers available1Company/InstituteAIT – Austrian Institute of TechnologyCountryAustriaGeofield
Where to apply
see related content here