Deadline : 15th Feb,2024
Deadline:15 Feb 2024
Biological sciences » Biology
First Stage Researcher (R1)
15 Feb 2024 – 17:00 (Europe/London)
Type of Contract
Hours Per Week
Offer Starting Date
1 Mar 2024
Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
HE / MSCA
Marie Curie Grant Agreement Number
Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
Closing Date for Applications: 15/02/2024
Organisation: University College Cork
School: School of Microbiology, and APC Microbiome Ireland
College: College of Medicine and Health
Job Type: Research (Full-Time)
Unique ID: HORIZON-MSCA-2022-DN (CLEAR)
The Gut Phageomics Laboratory at APC Microbiome Ireland, formerly known as the Alimentary Pharmabiotic Centre, is excited to announce a Ph.D. studentship opportunity within the HORIZON-MSCA-2022-DN Doctoral Network “CLEAR.” Founded in 2003 with funding from Science Foundation Ireland and in collaboration with key industry partners, APC Microbiome Ireland has established itself as a leading global center for gut microbiota research. With over 3500 research articles published in peer-reviewed journals, the center has made numerous landmark discoveries.
This Ph.D. studentship, funded by the MSCA-doctoral network program “CLEAR” (101119534), is a collaborative effort involving universities in Ireland, Denmark, Germany, Netherlands, Spain, Latvia, Italy, and Belgium. The CLEAR consortium aims to train 10 creative, entrepreneurial, innovative, and resilient doctoral candidates in Europe to tackle the serious and global problem of antibiotic resistance. They are actively seeking a motivated and intellectually curious individual to contribute to this project at the University College Cork, under the supervision of Prof. Colin Hill.
Research FieldBiological sciences » BiologyEducation LevelMaster Degree or equivalent
Key duties and responsibilities
This researcher will work in the development of novel bacteriophage based endolysins as antimicrobials against Clostridium difficile and MRSA.
- The successful candidate must be able to apply microbiology and molecular biology skills in the laboratory. Significant interdisciplinary interactions with collaborators in APC Microbiome Ireland will be required.
- Candidate is expected to have good communication, organisation, interpersonal skills and the ability to work within a project team are essential.
Additional tasks will include:
- The dissemination of results at conferences and through scientific articles.
- Attendance at postgraduate training courses.
- Regular reporting of research data.
- Involvement in Educational and Public Engagement (EPE) activities.
- Occasional laboratory supervision of Bachelor or Master students.
- Applicants should have a master’s degree in microbiology, molecular biology, or closely related fields.
- Applicants whose first language is not English must show evidence of English proficiency, please check the minimum requirements at: https://www.ucc.ie/en/study/comparison/english/ .
Biological sciences » Biology
This full-time Ph.D. position comes with a 3-year funding package, offering a gross annual salary of €48,756 before deductions and taxes. Mobility and family allowances may apply based on individual circumstances. The studentship will cover UCC fees at the EU student rate.
The Ph.D. scholarship is contingent upon academic approval, and the candidate will be enrolled in one of the general degree programs at UCC.
- We invite applications from doctoral researcher candidates who meet the following criteria:
- Candidates must be doctoral candidates and should not have already obtained a Ph.D. or equivalent degree from any institution. Those who have successfully defended their doctoral thesis but have not yet been formally awarded the degree will not be considered eligible.
- Applicants can be of any nationality but should not have resided or conducted their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in Ireland for more than 12 months in the 36 months immediately before their recruitment date. Time spent on obtaining refugee status, compulsory national service, and short stays such as holidays are not considered. Preferably, applicants should have not more than 3 years post-master seniority.
- Applicants must be eligible to work as a Ph.D. student in Belgium according to national and European regulations (e.g., visa requirements) and should also be able to travel/work in other European countries for collaborations, secondments, and training.
- Applicants must be available to enroll full-time by Mar-Apr 2024, with an earlier start date possible.
- Applicants should be aware of and adhere to the principles outlined in the Commission Recommendation on the European Charter for Researchers (https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/european-charter).
- Applicants agree to relocate to Cork, Ireland, for the entire duration of the contract if selected.
- Applicants are willing to travel for several planned secondments at project partner locations.
The PhD candidate will work with a team of scientists in the APC Microbiome Ireland and School of Microbiology and the Department of Medicine (College of Medicine and Health)
Informal Enquiries about the post can be made in confidence to Colin Hill, Professor of Microbial Food Safety, Principal Investigator-APC Microbiome Ireland. Email: [email protected]
Please email the following information to Prof. Colin Hill ([email protected] )
as a single PDF file:
- A one-page cover letter outlining any relevant experience and your reasons for wanting to participate in the project, with the expected date of availability.
- A Curriculum Vitae including your education history, courses, awards and skills. Also, if appropriate, please include details of any publications and conference presentations.
The selection of the Doctoral Researcher candidates will be carried out in compliance with the general rules for MSCA-DN projects and will be based just on individual merit.
The selection process will be entirely carried out in English.
Applications which do not meet the minimal prerequisites listed in the Eligibility Criteria section, or which are received after the submission deadline has expired, will be rejected.
Whenever necessary, it will be also entitled to ask the candidates to provide any further document, information or clarification deemed useful to properly complete the assessment process.
The deadline for applications is 15/02/2024. Applications received after the deadline will not be considered. Please quote “ID” on the subject line of your email.
Number of offers available1Company/InstituteUCCCountryEuropean UnionCityCorkPostal CodeT12 YT20StreetCollege RoadGeofield
Where to apply
see related content here